Transfers are a crucial part of your travel arrangements in Tanzania, especially if you plan to explore the country’s national parks, go on safaris, or climb Mount Kilimanjaro. Here’s how you can arrange transfers in Tanzania:
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who’ll decide where to go.
― Dr. David Joe
- Airport Transfers:
- Most international travelers arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport or Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam. Many hotels and lodges offer airport transfer services, so check with your accommodation provider to see if they can arrange a pickup.
- Transfers for Kilimanjaro Climbing:
- If you’re climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, your chosen trekking company will usually include transfer services from your accommodation to the starting point of your selected route (e.g., Marangu Gate, Machame Gate, or Lemosho Gate).
- Transfers for Safaris:
- When you book a safari with a tour operator, they typically handle transportation to and from the national parks and game reserves. This includes providing 4×4 safari vehicles and experienced guides.
- Inter-City Transfers:
- If you need to travel between different cities in Tanzania, you can book private transfers, use local buses or minibuses, or hire a taxi. Some cities also have domestic airports with regular flights.
- Ferry Transfers (Zanzibar and Coastal Areas):
- If you plan to visit Zanzibar or other coastal destinations, ferries are a common mode of transport between the mainland and these islands. Make ferry reservations in advance, especially during peak travel times.
- Public Transportation:
- In cities like Dar es Salaam and Arusha, you can use public buses, minivans, or tuk-tuks for short-distance transfers within the city. However, note that these may not be the most comfortable or reliable options for long-distance travel or when carrying lots of luggage.
- Private Transfers:
- Private transfer companies offer more comfortable and tailored transportation services. You can book private transfers for airport pickups, city-to-city travel, or custom itineraries.
- Car Rentals:
- If you prefer flexibility in your travel, you can rent a car at the airport or major cities. Ensure you have an international driver’s license and are comfortable with driving in Tanzania.
When arranging transfers in Tanzania, consider factors like your budget, the distance you need to cover, the number of travelers in your group, and the level of comfort and convenience you desire. It’s advisable to plan your transfers in advance, especially for important parts of your journey like airport pickups, safari transportation, and Kilimanjaro climb transfers, to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience.